The influence of implanted chromium and yttrium on the oxidation behaviour of TiAl-based intermetallics
- 113 Downloads
The influence of implanted chromium and yttrium on the oxidation behaviour of Ti-50Al (at %) in air at 800 °C was investigated. It was found that implanted chromium and/or yttrium leads to a decrease of the oxidation rate because an alumina scale was formed on the implanted material in the early stages of oxidation, whereas a titania-based scale grew on the non-implanted material. With increasing oxidation time the difference in oxidation behaviour between the implanted and non-implanted alloy gradually disappeared. These results show that chromium and yttrium, provided their concentration is properly chosen, can have a similar positive effect on the oxidation behaviour of TiAl-based intermetallics as they have on the oxidation behaviour of conventional Fe-, Ni-, or Co-based alumina-forming high temperature alloys.
KeywordsOxidation Polymer Alumina Chromium Yttrium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Yamaguchi, in Proceedings of the Conference on High Temperature Intermetallics, London, UK, 30 April–1 May 1991 (The Royal Society, London, 1991) p. 15.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Khobaib and F. Vahldiek, in Proceedings of the 2nd International SAMPE Metals Conference, 2–4 August, 1988, Dayton, OH, edited by F. H. Froes (Society for Advancement of Material and Process Engineering, Cooina, CA, 1988) p. 262.Google Scholar
- 4.G. H. Meier, in “Oxidation of high temperature intermetallics”, 22–23 September 1988, Cleveland, OH, edited by T. Grobstein and J. Doychak (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale, PA, 1989) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.L. Singheiser, H. W. Grünling and K. Schneider, Conference on High Temperature Materials for Power Engineering 1990, Liege, B, 24–27 September 1990, part II (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Deventer, Netherlands, 1990) p. 1687.Google Scholar
- 7.U. Figge, W. J. Quadakkers, H. Schuster and F. Schubert, in Proceedings of ‘EUROCORR’, Espoo, Finland, 31 May–4 June 1992, Vol. 1 (1992) p. 591.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Bennett and A. Tuscon, Proceedings of the Conference on High Temperature Intermetallics, London, UK, 30 April–1 May 1991 (The Royal Society, London, 1991) p. 216.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Dearnalay, Nucl. Instrum. Methods, 182/183 (1981) 889.Google Scholar