Optimized preparation parameters of unidirectionally C fibre-reinforced glass ceramics of the systems MAS and BMAS
- 30 Downloads
For reinforcement with high strength C fibres, the optimized preparation parameters of two glass ceramics in the system MgO-Al2O3-SiO2 (MAS) and BaO-MgO-Al2O3SiO2 (BMAS) were investigated. The optimized preparation is related mainly to the mechanical properties of composites having a high portion of crystalline matrix microstructure. As a first step, the temperature ranges were determined at which the glass matrix crystallizes to a high degree. The optimized mechanical properties of the composites were obtained by systematic variation of the temperature-pressure profile for the densification of the prepregs. The best results were obtained by densifying the composition of each composite in the glass temperature region, Tg, before the matrix started to crystallize. Optima mechanical properties exist also for composite fibre concentrations observed in the range of 31–33 vol%.
KeywordsPolymer Microstructure Mechanical Property Temperature Region Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. A. J. Sambell, D. C. Phillips and D. H. Bowen, in “Proceedings of the International Conference” (Plastic Institution, London, 1974) pp. 105–113.Google Scholar
- 5.K. M. Prewo and E. R. Thompson, NASA Contractor Report 165711, Final Report, March 1970–February 1981, Contract NAS1-14346, May 1981 UTRC, East Hartford, USA.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Klug, H. Bornhöft and R. Brückner, Glastech. Ber. 65 (1992) 207.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Klug and R. Brückner, ibid. 65 (1992) 299.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Klug, V. Fleischer and R. Brückner, ibid. 66 (1993) 201.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Reich and R. Brückner, ibid. submitted.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Hübert, R. Müller and M. Kirsch, Silikatt. 39 (1988) 183.Google Scholar