Low-cycle fatigue of polycrystalline α-iron modified by mutually immiscible silver-ion implantation
- 36 Downloads
Cyclic deformations of annealed pure polycrystalline α-iron with and without further mutually immiscible silver-ion implantation (90 keV, 6×1016 ions cm−2) were studied in a plastic strain-controlled tension-compression fatigue test (triangular loading waveform, frequency 0.02–0.3 Hz, and plastic strain range 3×10−3–1.2×10−2). The obtained plastic strain-life (Δɛp-Nf) curves showed that the iron specimens could survive for a greater number of cycles before failure when implanted. Comparison of the cyclic stress-strain curves suggested that the implanted specimens had maintained a relatively more stable microstructural change than those unimplanted ones which had undergone a violent cyclic hardening during cyclic deformation. This is proposed to be a strong indication that the fatigue ductility has been improved and the cross slip of screw dislocations, which leads to the evolution of the persistent slip bands for fatigue damage, was hindered to some extent after ion implantation.
KeywordsFatigue Ductility Fatigue Test Slip Band Fatigue Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. Kubaschewski (ed.), “Iron Binary Phase Diagrams” (Springer, Berlin, 1982) p. 3.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Mughrabi, in “Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Strength of Metals and Alloys”, edited by P. Haasen, V. Gerold and G. Kostorz (Pergamon, Oxford, 1980) Vol. 3, p. 1615.Google Scholar
- 21.R. W. Hertzberg, “Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials”, 2nd Edn (Wiley, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 23.D. M. Follstaedt and J. A. Knapp, in “Laser-Solid Interactions and Transient Thermal Processing of Materials”, edited by J. Narayan, W.L. Brown and R.A. Lemons (North Holland, New York, 1983) p. 745.Google Scholar
- 24.L. F. Coffin Jr, Trans. ASME 76 (1954) 931.Google Scholar
- 25.S.S. Manson, paper presented at the Heat Transfer Symposium, University of Michigan Engineering Research Institute (1953) p. 9.Google Scholar
- 26.B. Sestak, in “Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Strength of Metals and Alloys”, edited by P. Haasen, V. Gerold and G. Kostorz, (Pergamon, Oxford, 1980) Vol. 3, p. 1461.Google Scholar
- 28.V. Vitek, Cryst. Latt. Defects 5 (1974) 1.Google Scholar