On the chemical vapour deposition of Ti3SiC2 from TiCl4-SiCl4-CH4-H2 gas mixtures
- 126 Downloads
An experimental study of the deposition of Ti3SiC2-based ceramics from TiCI4-SiCI4-CH4-H2 gaseous precursors is carried out under conditions chosen on the basis of a previous thermodynamic approach, i.e. a temperature of 1100°C, a total pressure of 1 7 kPa, various initial compositions and substrates of silicon or carbon. Ti3SiC2 is deposited within a narrow composition range and never as a pure phase. A two-step deposition process is observed, in agreement with the thermodynamic calculations. For a silicon substrate, TiSi2 is formed as an intermediate phase from consumption of Si by TiCI4 and then is carburized by CH4 into Ti3SiC2. For a carbon substrate, the first step is the formation of TiCx either from consumption of carbon by TiCI4 or by reaction between TiCI4 and CH4 and then TiCx reacts with the gaseous mixture to give rise to Ti3SiC2. In most cases, Ti3SiC2 is obtained as small hexagonal plates oriented perpendicular to the substrate surface. These nano- or micro-crystals are usually co-deposited with TiCx and to a lesser extent SiC, and their size is increased by increasing the dilution of the gaseous mixture in hydrogen.
KeywordsHexagonal Gaseous Mixture Chemical Vapour Deposition Vapour Deposition Substrate Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.W. Jeitschko and H. Nowotny, Mh. Chem. 98 (1967) 329.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Bouteville, A. Royer, A. Bouamrane and J. C. Remy, Le vide-Les couches minces 232 (1986) 291.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Mastromatteo, J. L. Regolini, C. Danterroches, D. Dutartre, D. Bensahel, J. Mercier, C. Bernard and R. Madar, in Proceedings of 11th International Conference on CVD, 14–18 October 1990, Seattle, edited by K. E. Spear and G. W. Cullen (Electrochemical Society, Pennington, 1990) p. 459.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Aggour, E. Fitzer and J. Schlichting, in Proceedings of 5th International Conference on CVD, 21–26 September 1975, Buckinghamshire, UK, edited by J. M. Blocher, H. E. Hintermann and L. H. Hall, (Electrochemical Society, Princeton, 1975) p. 600.Google Scholar
- 12.H. E. Hintermann and H. G. Gass, in Proceedings of 4th International Conference on CVD, October 1973, Boston, US, edited by G. F. Wakefield and J. M. Blocher, (Electrochemical Society, Princeton, 1973) p. 107.Google Scholar
- 13.J. N. Lindstrom and S. Amberg, ibid. p. 124.Google Scholar