The binary system of BN-Mg3N2 under high pressures and temperatures
- 64 Downloads
The phase relations in the binary system of BN-Mg3N2 were investigated in regions of pressure, P, from 3.0 GPa to 8.0 GPa and temperature, T, up to 1900 K by means of in situ differential thermal analysis (DTA) and X-ray diffraction (XRD) of the quenched products. It was found that the succession in formation of the intermediate compounds Mg3BN3 (HP-phase) and Mg3B2N4 depends on the molar ratios of hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) and Mg3N2 and on the P-T conditions. In the P-T region of cubic boron nitride (cBN) growth, the system has three metastable eutectics such as Mg3N2-hBN, Mg3BN3-hBN and Mg3B2N4-hBN. It was found that eutectic temperatures are pressure dependent. The difference in the lower-temperature limits of cBN growth regions is explained by cBN crystallization from different eutectic melts.
KeywordsPolymer Crystallization Boron High Pressure Hexagonal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. Fukunaga, J. de Phys., Colloque C 8 45 (1984) 321.Google Scholar
- 4.O. Fukunaga, S. Nakano, J. Maki, H. Vollstaedt and H. Lorenz, in Proceedings of the Twelfth AIRAPT Conference, Paderborn, 1989, edited by W. B. Holzapfel and P. G. Johannsen (Gordon and Breach, London, 1990) p. 947.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Sato, T. Endo, O. Fukunaga, M. Iwata, US Patent 4 409 193 (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.S. N. Pikalov, N. V. Tarasenko, O. A. Sobokar, K. A. Bondarevich, Poroshkovaya Metallurg. 3 (1989) 71.Google Scholar
- 9.L. G. Khvostantsev, L. F. Vereshchagin and A. P. Novikov, High. Temp.-High Pressures 9 (1977) 637.Google Scholar
- 10.I. S. Gladkaya, G. N. Kremkova, N. A. Bendeliani, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 12 (1993) 1547.Google Scholar