Hardening of 316L stainless steel by laser surface alloying
- 175 Downloads
The goal of this study is to investigate different hardening routes for 316L stainless steel by laser surface alloying. We have investigated the formation of iron-chromium carbides by SiC or carbon incorporation, the alloying with submicronic particles of TiC and the precipitation of titanium carbide from mixtures of Ti and SiC. For each hardening route we present the microstructures and the hardness of the processed surface alloys and the conditions leading to the best compromise between highest hardness, best homogeneity and lowest occurrence of cracks. From these results it can be reasoned that hardening by iron-chromium carbides is the best hardening route and that this surface alloy might be a good candidate for tribological applications.
KeywordsPrecipitation Microstructure Titanium Carbide Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Ohring, “The materials science of thin films” (Academic Press, London, 1992).Google Scholar
- 2.P.A. Molian, in “Surface modification technologies”, edited by T.S. Sudarshan (Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1989) p. 421.Google Scholar
- 3.A.Y. Fasasi, S.K. Roy, M. Pons, A. Galerie, D. Sibuet and M. Caillet, in MAT-TEC 92, edited by A. Niku-Lari, (IITT International, Gournay/Marne, France, 1992) p. 211.Google Scholar
- 4.F. Fouquet, J.M. Pelletier, M. Pilloz and A.B. Vannes, in “Laser de puissance et traitements des matériaux”, edited by A.B. Vannes (Presses Polytechniques et Universitaires, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1991) p. 217.Google Scholar
- 5.M.C. Sahour, A.B. Vannes and J.M. Pelletier, J. Phys. IV, C7 1 (1991) 51.Google Scholar
- 6.C.L. Seyton, W.M. Steen, K.G. Watkins, M.G.S. Ferreira, R.G.M. Vilar and P. Carvalho, in MAT-TEC 92, edited by A. Niku-Lari (IITT International, Gournay/Marne, France, 1992) p. 219.Google Scholar
- 7.W.A. Glaeser, “Materials for tribology” (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1992).Google Scholar
- 8.J.C. Bavay in “Les aciers inoxydables”, edited by P. Lacombe, B. Baroux and G. Beranger (Les Editions de Physique, Les Ulis, France, 1990) p. 567.Google Scholar
- 11.A. B. Lysenko, N.N. Kozina, T.V. Gulyaeva, V.V. Shibaev, A.G. Glushkov, Metallovedenie i Termicheskaya Obrabotka Metallov 3 (1991) 2.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Tomie, N. Abe, S. Noguchi, Y. Kitahara and Y. Sato, Trans. JWRI 20 (1991) 43.Google Scholar
- 15.C. TASSIN, M. PONS, A. Y. FASASI, A. GALERIE, G. SAINFORT and C. POLAK, J. Mater. Sci. in press.Google Scholar