Wetting and adhesion of Ni-Al alloys on α-Al2O3 single crystals
- 207 Downloads
The effect of Al additions on the wetting and adhesion of Ni on an α-Al2O3 single crystal was studied. Contact angles were measured by the sessile drop technique under vacuum or in He atmosphere. The morphological and chemical features of metal-vapour and metal-oxide interfaces were determined by scanning electron microscope (SEM), microprobe analysis and profilometry. The work of adhesion of Ni-Al alloys on Al2O3 substrates was significantly higher than for pure Ni and Al components. This result was explained by co-operative adsorption of aluminium and oxygen atoms at the Ni-Al2O3 interface. The influence of oxidation of the alloy on wetting and bonding is also discussed.
KeywordsPolymer Al2O3 Contact Angle Oxygen Atom Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. E. Ritter JR and M. S. Burton, Trans. Amer. Inst. Metal Eng. 239 (1967) 21.Google Scholar
- 8.V. MERLIN, Thesis, INP-Grenoble (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.Z. Buseck, Hulnicke Aktuality 20 (1979) 100.Google Scholar
- 11.N. DUPIN, Phd Thesis, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.JANAF, “Thermochemical tables”, Vol. 14, 3rd Edn (1985). M. W. Chase Jr., C. A. Davies, J. R. Doweny Jr., D. J. Frurip, R. A. McDonald and A. N. Syverud. National Bureau of Standards, New ork, p. 161.Google Scholar
- 14.Y. V. Naïdich, V. S. Zhuravlev and V. G. Chuprina, Soviet Powder Metal. 13 (1974) 236.Google Scholar
- 15.V. A. Kalmikov, Ju. V. Svechkov and S. A. Elesov, Fizika Chimija Obrabotki Materailov 6 (1976) 64.Google Scholar
- 18.G. D. Ayushima, E. S. Levin and P. V. Gel'd, Russian J. Phys. Chem. 43 (1969) 1548.Google Scholar
- 23.Y. S. Touloukian, “Thermophysical properties of matter”, Vol. 12 (1975) (IFI/Plenum NW, Washington, DC, 1975) 225.Google Scholar