Kinetics of WC-Co oxidation accompanied by swelling
- 162 Downloads
The oxidation behaviour of WC-Co sintered carbides with 3–5 μm grain size of WC and 6–15 vol.% of cobalt have been studied in air in the temperature range 650–800 °C. The intensive swelling of up to 350% of initial specimen size and linear kinetics of the growth of the porous WO3 layer were observed during the oxidation. The final shape of the specimen after oxidation was dependent on its initial shape. The apparent activation energy of the dimension and weight gain kinetics were within the range 32–67 kJ mol−1 and the process was proposed to be controlled by the reaction at the interface. The oxidation rates and swelling coefficients increased when the mean size of WC grains was decreased and cobalt content increased. The possible model of WC-Co alloys' oxidation and swelling was proposed for the observed shape development and kinetics of oxidation.
KeywordsOxidation Carbide Activation Energy Cobalt Weight Gain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. J. A. Brookes, “World Directory and Handbook of Hardmetals” (Int. Carbide Data, 4th edition, 1987).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Samsonov, “Tugoplavkije sojedinenija” (Metallurgizdat, Moskva, 1963).Google Scholar
- 7.R. F. Vojtovich and E. A. Pugach, Poroshkovaya Metallurgija (1973) 59.Google Scholar
- 8.R. F. Vojtovich and E. A. Pugach, “Okislenije tugoplavkich soedinenij” (Metallurgizdat, Moskva, 1978).Google Scholar
- 9.Yu. F. Kots, V. S. Panov, N. V. Shipkov and A. A. Filimonova, Poroshkovaya Metallurgija (1990) 62.Google Scholar
- 10.B. O. Haglund and B. Lehtinen, in “Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Thermal Analysis” ICTA, Davos, Vol. 3 (1971) p. 545.Google Scholar
- 12.R. F. Vojtovich “Okislenie karbidov i nitridov” (Naukova dumka, Kiev, 1981).Google Scholar
- 13.G. S. Kreimer, in “Strength of Hard Alloys” (Consultant Bureau, Plenum Press, New York, 1968) in B. Johannesson, “The Fracture Behavior of Hardmetals”, PhD. Thesis (Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, 1987) p.7.Google Scholar
- 16.S. Lay, F. Osterstock, “Deformation of Ceramic Materials II.”, Mat. Sci. Res. 18 (Plenum Press, New York, 1984) p. 463.Google Scholar