Pilot-scale casting of single-crystal copper wires by the Ohno continuous casting process
- 286 Downloads
Single-crystal copper wires, 4 mm in diameter, have been produced using the horizontal Ohno continuous casting (OCC) process and a casting regime for the production of single crystals has been established. It was found that at lower casting speeds (< 50 mm min−1), single-crystal wires with no visible substructures were produced. However, at casting speeds above 50 mm min−1, the wire contained unidirectional subtexture and occasional stray crystals. The orientation of crystals parallel to the casting direction tended to be ť001〉 at higher casting speeds (∼ 120 mm min−1); at lower casting speeds, the orientation appeared to be random. It was also found that the solidifying wire recrystallized as it emerged from the mould if local strains were inflicted upon the cast surface by mould-strand friction.
KeywordsPolymer Copper Material Processing Local Strain Casting Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. J. Goss, “The art and science of growing crystals” edited by J. J. Gilman (Wiley, New York, 1963) p. 314.Google Scholar
- 2.R. A. Laudise, “The growth of single crystals”, Solid State Physical Electronics Series, edited by N. Holonyak Jr (Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1970) p. 141.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ohno, J. Metals 38 (1) (1986) 14.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Nakano, in “Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Solidification Processing” (The Institute of Metals, London, 1987) p. 413.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Sawada, Y. Nakai, H. Shiraishi, T. Nakano, Y. Matsushita and M. Ojima, Sumitomo Elect. Tech. Rev. 27, January (1988) 140.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Chalmers, “Principles of solidification” (Krieger, Malabar, FL, 1982) p. 307.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Yamamoto and J. Watanabe, Nippon Kinzoku Gakkai-Shi 23 (1959) 675.Google Scholar
- 11.Idem. ibid. 23 (1959) 679.Google Scholar
- 17.S. S. Leu, W. H. Weng, G. C. Liu, S. F. Chang and S. S. Wu, in “Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Chinese Society for Materials Science (Chinese Society for Materials Science, Chutung Hsinchu, Taiwan, 1992) p. 164.Google Scholar
- 19.H. Akita, D. S. Sampar and N. F. Fiore, Metall. Trans. 4 (1973) 1597.Google Scholar