Investigation of elemental diffusion during the drawing and heat treatment of glass optical fibres
- 60 Downloads
Using high-resolution X-ray analysis, elemental mobility during fibre drawing and the subsequent heat treatment were studied in germanium-doped, erbium-doped and cadmium-sulpho-selenide-doped optical fibres. It was found that all but the monovalent cations were effectively immobile in the silica matrix. There was also some evidence for reduced erbium volatility due to aluminium doping in some fibres.
KeywordsPolymer Aluminium Heat Treatment Optical Fibre Volatility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. C. Pugh, R. P. Stratton and D. B. Lewis, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 12 (1993) 1–2.Google Scholar
- 3.Tingye Li in ‘Optical fibre communications’, Vol. 1 (Academic Press, 1985).Google Scholar
- 6.R. H. Coremus, in “Glass science” (Wiley, Chichester, 1973).Google Scholar
- 9.F. T. Geyling and G. M. Homsey, Glass Tech. 21 (1980) 95.Google Scholar
- 10.A. C. Pugh, PhD thesis, Sheffield City Polytechnic, Sheffield, UK (1992).Google Scholar