Creep-fatigue failure of SAF 2205 and 316 stainless steels in Ar+3%SO2 environment at 700 °C
- 70 Downloads
The creep-fatigue behaviour of SAF 2205 duplex stainless steel and 316 austenitic stainless steel was studied under a sulphur-containing environment of an Ar + 3%SO2 atmosphere at 700°C. The cyclic loading employed creep-tension and plastic compression following the creep-plasticity (cp)-mode of the strain-range partitioning life-prediction method. The results showed that a premature failure was obtained with both SAF 2205 and 316 stainless steels under the combination of creep-fatigue loading and an SO2-bearing atmosphere. However, SAF 2205 was significantly more resistant than 316 as far as the number of cycles to failure and the sulphidizing attack at the external surface were concerned. In both materials, the creep-fatigue crack propagation was directly controlled by the environmental attack of the SO2-containing environment at the region ahead of the crack tip.
KeywordsPolymer Atmosphere Stainless Steel Material Processing External Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. A. Miller, R. H. Priest and E. G. Ellison, High temp. Mater Proc. 6 (3/4) (1984) 156.Google Scholar
- 2.J. F. Norton, F. G. Hodge and G. Y. Lai, in “International Conference Proceedings on High Temperature Materials for Power Engineering 1990”, Liege, Belgium 24–27 September 1990, edited by E. Bachelet, R. Brunetaud, D. Coutsouradis, P. Esslinger, J. Ewald, I. Kvernes, Y. Lindblom D. B. Meadowcroff, V. Regis, R. B. Scarlin, K. Schneider and R. Singer (Kluwer Academic, 1990) p. 167.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Berkovits, S. Nadiv and G. Shalev, in “Proceedings of the International Conference on Fatigue, Corrosion Cracking, Fracture Mechanics and Failure Analysis” (ASM, Salt Lake City, UT, 1985) p. 399.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Aghion, M. Bamberger and A. Berkovits, Mater. Sci. Eng. 26 (1991) 1873.Google Scholar
- 6.S. S. Manson and G. R. Halford, in 25th ISR, “Complexities of high temperature metal fatigue”, Israeli Conference on Aeronautics and Astronautics, Haifa 1983 p. 33.Google Scholar
- 7.M. G. Fontana and N. D. Greene, “Corrosion Engineering” (McGraw-Hill, 1987) p. 376.Google Scholar