Oxidation protection of porous reaction-bonded silicon nitride
- 40 Downloads
Oxidation kinetics of both as-fabricated and coated reaction-bonded silicon nitride (RBSN) were studied at 900 and 1000°C with thermogravimetry. Uncoated RBSN exhibited internal oxidation and parabolic kinetics. An amorphous Si-C-0 coating provided the greatest degree of protection to oxygen, with a small linear weight loss observed. Linear weight gains were measured on samples with an amorphous Si-N-C coating. Chemically vapour deposited (CVD) Si3N4 coated RBSN exhibited parabolic kinetics, and the coating cracked severely. A continuous-SiC-fibre-reinforced RBSN composite was also coated with the Si-C-O material, but no substantial oxidation protection was observed.
KeywordsOxidation Oxygen Polymer Silicon Weight Gain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. T. BHATT, US Patent No. 4689188 (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.R. W. DAVIDGE, A. G. EVANS, D. GILLING and P. R. WILYMAN, in “Special Ceramics”, Vol. 5, edited by P. Popper (British Ceramic Research Association, Manchester, 1972) p. 329.Google Scholar
- 4.S. P. HOWLETT, R. MORRELL and R. TAYLOR, Brit. Ceram. Soc. Proc. 37 (1986) 81.Google Scholar
- 5.L. J. LINDBERG, D. W. RICHERSON, W. D. CARRUTHERS and H. M. GERSCH, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 61 (1982) 574.Google Scholar
- 8.A. G. EVANS and R. W. DAVIDGE, ibid. 5 (1970) 413.Google Scholar
- 9.W. ZDANIEWSKI, D. P. H. HASSELMAN, H. KNOCK and J. HEINRICH, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 58 (1979) 539.Google Scholar
- 11.A. P. M. ADRIAANSEN and H. GOOIJER, Euro. Ceram. 3 (1989) 569.Google Scholar