The mechanical behaviour of PEEK short fibre composites
- 483 Downloads
Short glass (GF) and carbon fibre (CF) reinforced poly-ether-ether-ketone (PEEK) composites were prepared by injection moulding and then microstructurally characterized. Their mechanical behaviour was determined by two different methods: a classical unidirectional tensile test and an immersion ultrasonic technique. The reinforcing effect of fibres is discussed in the context of the theory of reinforcement of Bowyer and Bader. Interfacial shear strength and critical fibre length at break are calculated for both PEEK/GF and PEEK/CF composites. Examinations of fracture surfaces of uniaxial tensile specimens revealed a higher adhesion of carbon fibres to PEEK matrix in regards to the adhesion concerning glass fibre-PEEK interfaces, which is in agreement with the results provided by the model. Compatibility of ultrasonic and tensile results is reported.
KeywordsShear Strength Carbon Fibre Fibre Length Fibre Composite Interfacial Shear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Engineering materials handbook Vol. 1. Composites”, ASM International Edition, Metals Park, Ohio (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.J. KARGER-COCSIS and K. FRIEDRICH, Plast. Rubb. Process. Appl. 8 (1987) 91.Google Scholar
- 13.J. R. SARASUA, P. M. REMIRO and J. POUYET, in press.Google Scholar
- 19.M. AKAY in “Interrelation between processing, structure and properties of polymeric materials”, edited by J. C. SEFERIS and P.S. THEOCARIS (Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1984) p. 669.Google Scholar
- 23.P.F. BRIGHT and M. W. DARLINGTON, Plat. Rubb. Process. Appl. 1 (1981) 139.Google Scholar
- 29.L. E. NIELSEN “Mechanical properties of polymers and composites” Vol. 2, (Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1974), Chapter 5.Google Scholar
- 30.J. R. SARASUA, P. M. REMIRO and J. POUYET, in International Meeting on Composite Materials, “Advancing with Composites 1994”, Milan 1994, Vol. 1, p. 437.Google Scholar
- 31.J. R. SARASUA, B. HOSTEN and J. POUYET in Proceedings of the Ninth International Congress of Composite Materials (ICCM-9), Madrid 1993, Vol. 2, p. 235Google Scholar