Evaluation of a miniaturized disc test for establishing the mechanical properties of low-alloy ferritic steels
- 126 Downloads
A miniaturized disc test has been used to measure load-displacement curves for a 2 1/4Cr1Mo steel, from which are derived values for the Young's modulus of elasticity, yield stress and ultimate tensile strength over the temperature range -196 to 25 °C. The miniaturized test uses disc specimens 3 mm diameter and 0.25 mm thick and a test jig that applies a load via a 1 mm diameter steel ball at a constant displacement rate. The reproducibility of the method has been determined by testing a large number of the 2 1/4Cr1Mo steel specimens at each temperature considered. Comparisons have been made between analytical and empirical methods of evaluating the tensile yield stress and ultimate tensile strength from the measured load-displacement data. In addition, consideration has been given to the total energy to fracture, K*, and the variation with temperature which confirms a transition from low-energy cleavage to high-energy ductile fracture.
KeywordsTensile Strength Ultimate Tensile Strength Ductile Fracture Steel Ball Empirical Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. E. J. Flewitt, G. H. Williams and M. B. Wright, Nucl. Energy 31 (1992) 383.Google Scholar
- 3.N. H. Packan, R. E. Stoller and A. S. Kuman (eds), “Effects of Radiation on Materials”, ASTM STP 1046 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1990).Google Scholar
- 8.G. E. Lucas, J. W. Sheckherd, G. R. Odetta and S. Panchanadeeswaran, ibid. 122–123 (1984) 1040.Google Scholar
- 9.T. M. Chang, J. Inst. Metals 78 (1950) 393.Google Scholar
- 11.J. M. Baik, J. Kameda and O. Buck, “The Use of Small-Scale Specimens for Testing Irradiated Material”, STP 888 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1986).Google Scholar
- 12.X. Mao, T. Shoji and H. Takahashi, J. Test. Eval. 15 (1987) 15.Google Scholar
- 16.L. F. Exworthy, Nuclear Electric Memorandum, TD/ SEB/MEM/2274/91 (1991).Google Scholar
- 17.R. J. Roake and W. C. Young, “Formulas for Stress and Strain”, 6th Edn (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1980) p. 391.Google Scholar
- 19.X. Mao and H. Takahashi, J. Nucl. Mater. 50 (1989) 42.Google Scholar
- 22.O. K. Hanling, M. Lee, D.-S. Sohn, E. Kohse and C. W. Lan, “Use of Small Scale Specimens for Testing Irradiated Material” ASTM STP 888 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1983) p. 50.Google Scholar
- 23.V. Vorlicek, R. Moskovic and P. E. J. Flewitt, to be published (1993).Google Scholar