Direct production of ultrafine amorphous Fe-P alloy particles by the plasma method
- 48 Downloads
Ultrafine amorphous Fe-P alloy particles were directly synthesized by the plasma using cyclopentenyl iron and phosphorous trichloride as starting materials. The plasma gas greatly influenced the morphology, dispersion and composition.The particles were roughly spherical with a diameter of 40–200 nm and had the composition of Fe106P50. Elemental chlorine was found in the surface of the particle especially prepared under argon plasma conditions. It was bonded with phosphorus and carbon in Fe-P particles prepared in argon plasma and mainly with carbon in Fe-P particles deposited under a hydrogen plasma. Formation of Fe-P improves the stability of phosphorus in air. Phosphorus enrichment in the surface of Fe-P particles was also found. The particles were characterized by TEM, SEM, infrared-spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy quantitative analysis, differential scanning colorimetry, inductively coupled plasma, X-ray diffraction and X-ray microprobe analysis. The formation mechanism of Fe-P amorphous particles was also discussed.
KeywordsPhosphorus Chlorine Microprobe Analysis Argon Plasma Plasma Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. Herzer and H. R. Hilzinger, in “Magnetic Properties of Amorphous Metals” (Elsevier, 1987) p. 354.Google Scholar
- 5.F. E. Luborsky (ed.), “Amorphous Metallic Alloys” (Butterworth, 1983).Google Scholar
- 7.K. Sumiyama and Y. Nakamura, Trans. Jpn Inst. Metals 29 (1983) 283.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Ma, B. X. Lu and H. D. Li, in “MRS Conference” Boston (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.N. Burgio, G. Ennas, M. Magini, F. Padella, B. Schippa and P. Susini, “Solid State Powder Procesing”, edited by A. H. Clauer and J. J. de Barbadillo (Mineral, Metals and Materials Society, 1990), p. 344.Google Scholar
- 18.K. Akashi, “Progress in Thermal Plasma Deposition of Alloys and Ceramics Fine Particles” ISPC-7, Eindhoven, 1985, p. 13.Google Scholar
- 19.T. N. Meyer, A. J. Becker, J. E. Edd, F. N. Smith and J. Jiu, “Plasma Synthesis of Ceramics Powders ISPC-8, Tokyo, 1987, p. 2006.Google Scholar
- 21.K. Ishizaki, T. Egashira, K. Tanaka and P. B. Celis, Ibid. 24 (1989) 3552.Google Scholar