The self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS) of ultrafine high-purity TiC powder from TiO2+Mg+C
- 72 Downloads
The self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS) method has been applied to the preparation of TiC powder from mixtures of TiO2, Mg, and C. The TiC/MgO product is leached by hydrochloric acid to remove the MgO. The optimum mixing ratio was TiO2∶Mg∶C=1∶2.2∶1.5. The final product TiC had > 99.9% purity and relatively uniform particle size of 0.3–0.4 μm.
KeywordsPolymer Particle Size TiO2 Hydrochloric Acid Material Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. A. Munir, Ceram. Bull. 67 (1988) 342.Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Merzhanov and I. P. Borovinskaya, Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR (Chem.) 204 (1972) 429.Google Scholar
- 6.A. P. Hardt and R. W. Holsinger, ibid. 21 (1973) 90.Google Scholar
- 7.Editorial Committee of Fine Ceramics: “Encyclopedia of Fine Ceramics” (Kibodang Co., Tokyo, 1987 pp. 632–44.Google Scholar
- 8.L. E. Toth, in “Transition Metal Carbides and Nitrides” (Academic Press, New York, 1971) pp. 150–9.Google Scholar