Assignment of the genes for human lysosomal acid lipases A and B to chromosomes 10 and 16
- 42 Downloads
Twenty-three independent man-hamster (CH/HGPRT-) hybrids were analysed for human acid lipases and for some other human enzyme markers (PP, GOT 1, PGP) and chromosomes. Eighteen independent man-mouse (LA/HGPRT-TK−) hybrids were analysed for human acid lipases, human enzyme marker PGP and human chromosomes.
Three fibroblasts from unrelated patients with WD (Wolman's disease), one fibroblast from a heterozygote for WD, and 15 normal fibroblasts were analysed for acid lipases.
A positive correlation was observed between acid lipase A and Chr. 10, and between acid lipase B and Chr. 16. In fact, among 23 independent man-hamster hybrids, 6 were Chr. 10+PP+GOT 1+LIP A+ and 17 were Chr. 10-PP-GOT 1-LIP A-, and among 41 independent man-rodent hybrids 23 were Chr. 16+ PGP+LIP B+ and 18 were Chr. 16-PGP-LIP B-. Except for Chr. 10, the other autosomes were observed in hybrids LIP A−, and except for Chr. 16, the other autosomes were observed in hybrids LIP B-.
These results indicate that the gene for lipase A is on Chr. 10 and the gene for lipase B is on Chr. 16.
The acid lipase A is deficient in WD fibroblasts. Therefore the mutation responsible for WD is on Chr. 10. The B, C and at least three additional lipases were observed in WD fibroblasts and in WD heterozygote fibroblasts at pH 4.0 and with 4-methylumbelliferyl oleate as substrate. The relationship between these different acid lipases are obscure. In the normal fibroblasts from healthy control subjects a considerable variation in acid lipase A activity was observed. In some normal fibroblasts from healthy control subjects, in which the lipase A is reduced, we observed the same acid lipase zymogram pattern as in WD heterozygote fibroblasts.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Lipase Metabolic Disease Human Acid Oleate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker RF, Hopkinson DA (1978) Genetic polymorphism of human phosphyglycolate phosphatase (PGP). Ann Hum Genet 42:143–151Google Scholar
- Beaudet AL, Lipson MH, Ferry GD, Nichols BL (1974) Acid lipase in cultured fibroblasts: cholesterol ester storage disease. J Lab Clin Med 84:54–61Google Scholar
- Chern CJ, Mellman WJ, Croce CM (1975) Assignment of the structural gene for cytoplasmic glutamic-oxaloacetic-transaminase (GOT) to region q24→qter of human chromosome 10 (Abstr). Am J Hum Genet 27:25AGoogle Scholar
- Coates PM, Cortner JA, Mennuti MT, Wheeler JE (1978) Prenatal diagnosis of Wolman disease. Am J Med Genet 2: 397–407Google Scholar
- Cortner JA, Coates PM, Swoboda E, Schnatz JD (1976) Genetic variation of lysosomal acid lipase. Pediatr Res 10:927–932Google Scholar
- Creagan R, Tischfield J, McMorris FA, Chen S, Hirchi M, Chen TR, Ricciuti F, Ruddle FM (1973) Assignment of the genes for human peptidase A to chromosome 18 and cytoplasmic glutamic oxaloacetate transaminase to chromosome 10 using somatic cell hybrids. Cytogenet Cell Genet 12: 187–198Google Scholar
- Davidson RL, Ephrussi B (1965) A selective system for the isolation of hybrids between L cell and normal cells. Nature 205:1170–1171Google Scholar
- Davidson RL, Gerald PS (1976) Improved techniques of the induction of mammalian cell hybridization by polyethylene glycol. Somat Cell Genet 2:165–176Google Scholar
- Donald LJ, Wang HS, Hamerton JL (1979) Assignment of the phosphoglycolate phosphatase locus to chromosome 16. Edinburgh Conference (1979): Fifth International Workshop on Human Gene Mapping. Birth Defects: Orig Art Ser XV, 11. The National Foundation, New York, pp 147–148Google Scholar
- Dutrillaux B, Lejeune J (1971) Sur une nouvelle technique d'analyse du caryotype humain. CR Acad Sci [D] (Paris) 272: 2638–2640Google Scholar
- Fisher RA, Turner BM, Dorkin HL, Harris H (1974) Studies on human erythrocyte inorganic pyrophosphatase. Ann Hum Genet 37:341–353Google Scholar
- Fisher RA, Putt W, Povey S, Buckton KE, Gormley IP, Perry P (1976) Assignment of the locus determining inorganic pyrophosphatase to chromosome 10 in man. Baltimore Conference (1975). Third International Workshop on Human Gene Mapping. Birth Defects: Orig Art Ser, XII, 7. The National Foundation, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Koch GA, Shows TB (1979) Edinburgh Conference (1979): Fifth International Workshop on Human Gene Mapping. Birth Defects: Orig Art Ser XV, 11. The National Foundation, New York, p 174Google Scholar
- Kyriakides EC, Paul B, Balint JA (1972) Lipid accumulation and acid lipase deficiency in fibroblast from a famlily with Wolman's disease, and their apparent correction in vitro. J Lab Clin Med 80:810–816Google Scholar
- Littlefield JW (1964) Selection of hybrids from matings of fibroblasts in vitro and their presumed recombinants. Science 145:709–710Google Scholar
- McAlpine PJ, Mohandas T, Hamerton JL (1975) Isozyme analysis of somatic cell hybrids: assignment of the phosphoglucomutase 2 (PGM 2) gene locus to chromosome 4 in man with data on the molecular structure and human chromosome assignment of six additional markers. In: Markert CL (ed) Isozymes, vol 4. Academic Press, New York, pp 149–167Google Scholar
- McAlpine PJ, Mohandas T, Ray M, Wang M, Hamerton JL (1976) Assignment of the inorganic pyrophosphatase gene locus (PP) to chromosome 10 in man. Baltimore Conference (1975): Third International Workshop on Human Gene Mapping. Birth Defects: Orig Art Ser, XII, 7. The National Foundation, New York, pp 201–203Google Scholar
- Nguyen Van Cong, Rebourcet R, Weil D, Pangalos C, Frezal J (1975) Localisation d'un locus structure de la pyrophosphatase inorganique «erythrocytaire» sur le chromosome 10 chez l'homme par la methode d'hybridisation celulaire homme-hamster. CR Acad Sci [D] (Paris) 281:435–438Google Scholar
- Pontecorvo G (1975) Production of mammalian somatic cell hybrids by mean of polyethylene glycol treatment. Somat Cell Genet 1:397–400Google Scholar
- Povey S, Jeremiah SJ, Barker RF, Hopkinson DA, Robson EB, Cook PJL, Solomon E, Bobrow M, Carrit B, Buckton KE (1980) Assignment of the human locus determining phosphoglycolate phosphatase (PGP) to chromosome 16. Ann Hum Genet 43:241–248Google Scholar
- Van Somersen H, Beijersbergen Van Henegouven H, Los, W, Wurzer-Figurelli E, Doppert B, Vervloet M, Meera Khan P (1974) Enzyme electrophoresis on cellulose acetate gel. Zymogram patterns in man-Chinese hamster somatic cell hybrids. Hum Genet 25:189–201Google Scholar
- Weil D, Nguyen Van Cong, Finaz C, Gross MS, Cochet C, de Grouchy J, Frezal J (1975) Localisation du gène phosphoglycolate phosphatase (PGP) sur le chromosome 16 par l'hybridation cellulaire interspécifique. Hum Genet 51: 139–145Google Scholar