Intracranial tumors in the first year of life
- 52 Downloads
Among 100 childhood brain tumors treated at Kobe Children's Hospital from May 1970 to June 1985, 18 of the children presented with symptoms during the first year of life. This paper analyzes these 18 cases. Supratentorial tumors (78%) were more common than infratentorial ones, and 67% of all the tumors were located in the central neural axis. Initial symptoms were cranial enlargement (56%), vomiting (17%), cranial deformity (11%), blepharoptosis, respiratory distress, and ataxia. Histological diagnosis of the tumors was as follows: teratoma (3 cases), medulloblastoma (3), glioblastoma (2), astrocytoma (2), ependymoma (2), craniopharyngioma (1), choroid plexus papilloma (1), hamartoma (1), lipoma (1), melanotic progonoma (1), and an undetermined type, probably medulloblastoma (1). Seventeen of the patients underwent craniotomy for tumor resection (4 total, 4 subtotal and 7 partial removal, and 2 biopsies). Additional therapeutic methods used separately and in various combinations included ventriculoperitoneal shunt, subduralperitoneal shunt, ventricular drainage, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Nine patients died (average 98 days) after surgery. Of the 9 survivors, 6 are still alive after more than 5 years. Five of the 6 are mentally retarded and 4 are physically handicapped to some degree.
Key wordsIntracranial tumor Increased head size hydrocephalus Computed tomography First year of life
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Harwood-Nash DC, Fitz CR (1976) Neuroradiology in infants and children, vol 2. Mosby, St Louis, MoGoogle Scholar
- 8.Koos WT, Miller MH (1971) Intracranial tumors of infants and children. Thieme, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- 10.Matson DD (1969) Neurosurgery of infancy and childhood, 2nd edn. Thomas, Springfield, IllGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rueda-Franco F (1981) Intracranial tumors in the 1st year of life. Child's Brain 8:79 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 13.Russell DS, Rubinstein LJ (1971) Pathology of tumours of the nervous system. Arnold, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 14.Sano K (1979) Intracranial tumors under one year of age. Child's Brain 5:552 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 15.Sato N, Sakamoto K (1978) Brain tumor in the neonatal period — a case report and the review of the literature. Neurol Surg (Tokyo) 6:1225–1230Google Scholar
- 17.Tadmor R, Harwood-Nash DC, Savoiardo M, Scotti G, Musgrave M, Fitz CR, Chuang S (1980) Brain tumors in the first two years of life, CT diagnosis. AJNR 1:411–417Google Scholar
- 19.Till K (1975) Pediatric neurosurgery. Blackwell, OxfordGoogle Scholar