Isolation and characterization of Zymomonas mobilis mutants resistant to octadecyltrimethylammonium chloride, a detergent acting on hopanoid-producing bacteria
- 52 Downloads
Growth of the hopanoid-producing bacterium Zymomonas mobilis was inhibited at low concentrations of the cationic detergent octadecyltrimethylammoniumchloride (OTAC). A relationship between sensitivity of Zymomonas mobilis to OTAC, presence of hopanoids and ethanol tolerance was postulated. Mutants resistant to OTAC were isolated from strains ZM1 and ZM4. They did not present any alteration of the hopanoid content and their squalene cyclases showed the same sensitity to OTAC as the parent enzymes. Resistance to OTAC paralleled pleiotropic effects including, enhanced accessibility of the membrane-bound alkaline phosphatase, important release of proteins from cells by Tris/HCl treatment, increased resistance to antibiotics and increased sensitivity to ethanol. In addition, OTACR mutants were also characterized by the synthesis or the overproduction of an outer membrane protein (F53) not detected on 2D-PAGE maps of parent strains and by a normal heat shock response. The role of hopanoids, heat shock proteins, protein F53 and membrane organization in ethanol tolerance is discussed.
Key wordsOTAC resistant mutants Hopanoids Squalene cyclase Ethanol tolerance Outer membrane proteins Zymomonas mobilis
sodium lauryl sarcosinate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bligh EG, Dyer WJ (1959) A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Physiol 37:911–917Google Scholar
- Hayashida S, Ohta K (1980) Effects of phosphatidyl-choline or ergosteryloleate on physiological properties of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Agric Biol Chem 114:2561–2567Google Scholar
- Ingram LO, Buttke TM (1984) Effects of alcohols on micro-organisms. Adv Microb Physiol 25:254–290Google Scholar
- Michel GPF, Baratti J (1979) Phosphate-irrepressible alkaline phosphatase of Zymomonas mobilis. J Gen Microbiol 135:453–460Google Scholar
- Ohta K, Supanwong K, Hayashida S, (1981) Environmental effects on ethanol tolerance of Zymomonas mobilis. J Ferment Technol 59:435–439Google Scholar
- Rogers PL Lee KJ, Skotnicki ML, Tribe DE (1982) Ethanol production by Zymomonas mobilis. Adv Biochem Eng 23:37–84Google Scholar
- Rohmer M, Bouvier-Nave P, Ourisson G (1984) Distribution of hopanoid triterpenes in procaryotes. J Gen Microbiol 130:1137–1150Google Scholar
- Tahara Y, Ogawa Y, Sakakibara T, Yamada Y (1985) Phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyl-transferase from Zymomonas mobilis. Purification and characterization. Agric Biol Chem 50:257–259Google Scholar
- Tahara Y, Yuhara H, Yamada Y (1988) Distribution of tetrahydroxyhopane in the membrane fractions of Zymomonas mobilis. Agric Biol Chem 52:607–609Google Scholar