The production ecology of Stephanodiscus Astraea (Ehrenb.) Grun
- 56 Downloads
The production ecology of Stephanodiscus astraea (Ehrenb.) Grun. is discussed with respect to other phytoplankton growths, mixing regimes and nutrient availability. Populations of Stephanodiscus were studied during 1972 and 1973 in an artificially mixed reservoir with a capacity of 3.5 × 107m3. Major nutrients such as soluble reactive phosphates (60–200 µg/1) and nitrates (1–8 mg/1) were not limiting. Large amounts of silicate (approximately 10 mg/1) were utilized to support moderately large populations of S. astraea (1.3 × 107 µm3/ml). Light penetration and mixing regimes strongly affected the periodicity and size of standing crops. It is suggested that heterotrophic production can interact with the mixing environment to influence the production of turbid waters.
KeywordsStephanodiscus artificial mixing Wraisbury Reservoir autotrophic versus heterotrophic production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guillard, R. L. 1962. Salt and osmotic balance. Physiology and Biochemistry of Algae by R. A. Lewin. Academic Press. 529–540.Google Scholar
- Haffner, G. D. 1974. Seston distribution and phytoplankton production in a new, eutrophic reservoir subject of artificial mixing. Ph. D. Thesis, University of London England.Google Scholar
- Haffner, G. D. & Evans, J. H. 1973. Synoptic sampling and spatial distribution of phytoplankton in a new Thames Valley Reservoir. (Abstract). Br. Phycol. J. 8, 210.Google Scholar
- Mackereth, F. J. H. 1963. Some methods of water analysis for limnologists Freshwat. Biol. Ass. Sci. Pub. No. 21.Google Scholar
- Ridley, J. E. 1970. The biology and management of eutrophic reservoirs. Proc. Soc. Wat. Treat. Examin. 19, 374–399.Google Scholar
- Rodhe, W. 1948. Environmental requirements of fresh water plankton algae. Symp. Bot. Upsal. 10, 3–149.Google Scholar
- Steel, J. A. 1972. The application of fundamental limnological research in water supply system design and management. Symp. Zool. Soc. Lond. 29, 41–67.Google Scholar
- Ubeleis, I. 1957. Osmotischer Wert, Zucker-und-Harnstoffpermeabilität einiger Diatomeaen. Osterr. Akad. Wiss. Math.naturw. Kl. Sitzber Abt. 1 166, 395–433.Google Scholar