Changes in the physical and chemical properties of floodwater and sediment in an experimental ricefield (Reggio Emilia, Italy)
- 34 Downloads
Changes in time and space in the physical and chemical variables connected to the oxygen P/R ratio were studied.
Temperature, light transmission, dissolved oxygen and its day-night cycles were measured periodically in the floodwater; in addition, concentrations of total phosphorus, proteins and chlorophyll-a in the particulate suspended matter were measured. Finally, the seasonal evolution of the redox conditions in the water and in the sediment were analysed.
Highly significant correlations between pH and D.O. in the water, and oxygen production were found; the pH and Eh values of the water/sediment interface were strictly related to the corresponding values reached in the water. The composition and the size of the particulate suspended matter pool seemed to be relatively stable and unrelated to the physical and chemical characteristics of the water.
Keywordsricefield POM proteins chlorophyll-a phosphorus redox potential pH P/R ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonietti, R., M. Copelli & P. Viaroli, 1981. Relazione fra proteine e solidi volatili in ambienti acquatici. Acqua e Aria 6: 609–611.Google Scholar
- Bertoni, R. & C. Callieri, 1982. Yearly variations of parameters involved in organic carbon cycle in pelagic and littoral zone of Lago Maggiore. Mem. Ist. ital. Idrobiol., 40: 181–199.Google Scholar
- C.N.R.S., 1978. Recherches ècologique sur les rizieres de Camargue. Centre d'Ecologie de Camargue, Le Sambuc, pp. 334.Google Scholar
- Ferrari, L., A. De Marchi, P. Menozzi, F. Minzoni & F. Piccoli, 1985. Heleoplankton seasonal succession in an experimental ricefield in Northern Italy. Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol., 22: 1711–1716.Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., N. T. Resebrought, A. L. Farr & R. Y. Randall, 1951. Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 193: 265–275.Google Scholar
- Melchiorri-Santolini, U. & J. W. Hopton, 1972. Detritus and its role in aquatic ecosystems. Mem. Ist. ital. Idrobiol., Suppl. 29, pp. 540.Google Scholar
- Moroni, A., 1961. L'ecosistema di risaia. Ente Nazionale Risi, Roma, pp. 53.Google Scholar
- Moroni A., 1967. Ecologia delle comunità eleoplanctoniche di risaia. Studium Parmense, Parma, pp. 105.Google Scholar
- Owens, M., 1965. Some factors involved in the use of dissolved oxygen distributions in streams to determine productivity. Mem. Ist. ital. Idrobiol. Suppl. 18: 209–224.Google Scholar
- Podlejski, J., D. Pront & A. Vaquer, 1978. Charactèristiques phisiques et chimiques de l'eau des rizieres de Camargue. In: Recherches ecologiques sur les rizieres de Camargue. (C.N.R.S.), Centre d'Ecologie de Camargue, Le Sambuc: 66–82.Google Scholar
- Vollenweider, R. A., 1969. A manual on methods for measuring primary production in aquatic environments. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp. 213.Google Scholar
- Weber, C. I. & B. M. McFarland, 1969. Periphyton biomass-chlorophyll ratio as index of water quality. 17th Ann. Meeting of the Midwest Bentholog. Soc., Gilbertsville, Kentucky, pp.Google Scholar