Stream data analysis
Stream mining is the process of discovering knowledge or patterns from continuous data streams. Unlike traditional data sets, data streams consist of sequences of data instances that flow in and out of a system continuously and with varying update rates. They are temporally ordered, fast changing, massive, and potentially infinite. Examples of data streams include data generated by communication networks, Internet traffic, online stock or business transactions, electric power grids, industry production processes, scientific and engineering experiments, and video, audio or remote sensing data from cameras, satellites, and sensor networks. Since it is usually impossible to store an entire data stream, or to scan through it multiple times due to its tremendous volume, most stream mining algorithms are confined to reading only once or a small number of times using limited computing and storage capabilities. Moreover, much of stream da
- Aggarwal C.C. Data Streams: Models and Algorithms. Kluwer Academic, 2006.
- Aggarwal C.C., Han J., Wang J., and Yu P.S. A framework for clustering evolving data streams. In Proc. 29th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2003, pp. 81–92.
- Aggarwal C.C., Han J., Wang J., and Yu P.S. On demand classification of data streams. In Proc. 10th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2004, pp. 503–508.
- Babcock B., Babu S., Datar M., Motwani R., and Widom J. Models and issues in data stream systems. In Proc. 21st ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, 2002, pp. 1–16.
- Cai Y.D., Clutter D., Pape G., Han J., Welge M., and Auvil L. MAIDS: Mining alarming incidents from data streams. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2004, pp. 919–920.
- Chen Y., Dong G., Han J., Wah B.W., and Wang J. Multi-dimensional regression analysis of time-series data streams. In Proc. 28th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2002, pp. 323–334.
- Cormode G. and Muthukrishnan S. What’s hot and what’s not : tracking most frequent items dynamically. In Proc. 22nd ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, 2003, pp. 296–306.
- Gao J., Fan W., Han J., and Yu P.S. A general framework for mining concept-drifting data streams with skewed distributions. In Proc. SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, 2007.
- Guha S., Mishra N., Motwani R., and O’Callaghan L. Clustering data streams. In Proc. 41st Annual Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 2000, pp. 359–366.
- Hulten G., Spencer L., and Domingos P. Mining time-changing data streams. In Proc. 7th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2001.
- Kargupta H., Bhargava B., Liu K., Powers M., Blair P., Bushra S., Dull J., Sarkar K., Klein M., Vasa M., and Handy D. VEDAS: A mobile and distributed data stream mining system for real-time vehicle monitoring. In Proc. SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, 2004.
- Manku G. and Motwani R. Approximate frequency counts over data streams. In Proc. 28th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2002, pp. 346–357.
- Mendes L., Ding B., and Han J. Stream sequential pattern mining with precise error bounds. In Proc. 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Mining, 2008.
- O’Callaghan L., Meyerson A., Motwani R., Mishra N., and Guha S. Streaming-data algorithms for high-quality clustering. In Proc. 18th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, 2002, pp. 685–696.
- Shasha D. and Zhu Y. High Performance Discovery In Time Series : Techniques and Case Studies. Springer, 2004.
- Wang H., Fan W., Yu P.S., and Han J. Mining concept-drifting data streams using ensemble classifiers. In Proc. 9th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2003, pp. 226–235.
- Stream Mining
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2831-2834
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.