2010 TNM Staging System for Cutaneous Melanoma…and Beyond
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) has partnered with the Annals of Surgical Oncology to publish a series of editorials that highlight revisions in staging criteria for major cancer types from the recently published 7th edition of the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual.1 Cancer registrars nationwide will begin to use these updates when they take effect in January 2010. This editorial, which focuses on the melanoma staging system, is the first in a series designed to outline the revisions of specific staging systems for the Annals of Surgical Oncology readership.
2010 TNM Staging System for Cutaneous Melanoma
The AJCC 6th edition melanoma staging system was characterized by major revisions to cutaneous melanoma staging that was based on an evidence-based approach that used an international collaborative database developed exclusively for this purpose, and it has been widely adopted over the past 5 years.2 On the basis of the success of this collaborative model, and in preparation for m ...
- Balch CM, Gershenwald JE, Soong SJ, et al. (2009) Melanoma of the skin. In: Edge SE, Byrd DR, Carducci MA, et al. (eds) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual 7th ed. Springer, New York: 325–44.
- Balch CM, Buzaid AC, Atkins MB, et al. Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:3635–48.
- Balch CM, Gershenwald JE, Soong SJ, et al. Final version of 2009 AJCC melanoma staging and classification. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:6199–206. CrossRef
- Balch CM, Gershenwald JE, Soong SJ, et al. Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors among 2313 patients with stage III melanoma. J Clin Oncol. (in press).
- Soong SJ, Ding S, Coit D, et al., and the AJCC Melanoma Task Force. Predicting survival outcome of localized melanoma: an electronic prediction tool based on the AJCC Melanoma Database. Ann Surg Oncol (in press).
- 2010 TNM Staging System for Cutaneous Melanoma…and Beyond
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 17, Issue 6 , pp 1475-1477
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Surgical Oncology and Cancer Biology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, USA
- 2. Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
- 3. Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA