First report ofAlternaria blight ofPaulownia spp.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A severe disease was observed in Western Australian plantations ofPaulownia fortunei in October 2001. Symptoms included black and light brown leaf lesions, and sunken cankers on petioles, branches and trunks of many trees.Alternaria spp. were isolated from 100% of all diseased tissues. Sequence data from the ribosomal ITS operon placed all isolates within theA. alternata complex. This is the first report ofAlternaria blight of Paulownia spp.
- Bassett S (1998) ‘Paulownia a commercial overview.’ (Rural Industry Business Services, Department of Primary Industries: Queensland)
- Hiruki C (1999) Paulownia witches’ — broom disease important in East Asia. Acta Horticulture 469, 63–68.
- Johnson JE, Mitchem DO, Kreh RE (2003) Establishing royal paulownia on the Virginia Piedmont. New Forests 25, 11–23. doi: 10.1023/A: 1022349231557 CrossRef
- Lyons A (1993) Paulownia. In ‘Agroforestry, trees for productive farming’. (Ed. D Race) pp. 149–154. (Agmedia: Victoria)
- Mehrotra MD (1997) Diseases of Paulownia and their management. Indian Forester 123, 66–72.
- Mehrotra MD, Mehrotra A (2000) Butt and root rot — a threat to Paulownia at New Forest. Indian Journal of Forestry 23, 220.
- Misra BM, Khan SN, Singh YP (2001) Heteroporus root-rot of Paulownia Fortunei. Indian Forester 127, 1043–1046.
- Phillips DH. Burdekin DA (1992) ‘Diseases of forest and ornamantal trees.’ (Macmillan Press LTD: Hong Kong)
- Pryor BM, Michailides TJ (2002) Morphological, pathogenic, and molecular characterization ofAlternaria isolates associated with alternaria late blight of pistachio. Phytopathology 92, 406–416. CrossRef
- Simmons EG (1992) Alternaria taxonomy: current status, viewpoint, challenge. In ‘Alternaria biology, plant diseases and metabolites’. (Eds J Chelkowski, A Visconti) pp. 1–36. (Elsevier: Amsterdam)
- Simmons EG, Roberts RG (1993) Alternaria themes and variations (73). Mycotaxon 48, 109–140.
- Watanabe T, de Shinoda RNB, Ramirez ME (1987) Fungi isolated from declining paulownia trees in Paraguay and Argentina. Transactions of the Mycological Society of Japan 28, 453–168.
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phy loge ne tics. In ‘PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications’. (Eds MA Innes, DH Gelfand, JJ Sninsky, TJ White) pp. 315–322. (Academic Press: San Diego)
- Zhu ZH, Chao CJ, Lu XY, Xiong YG (1986) ‘Paulownia in China: cultivation and utilization.’ (Asian Network for Biological Sciences and International Development Research Center: Beijing)
- First report ofAlternaria blight ofPaulownia spp.
Australasian Plant Pathology
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 107-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors