Comparative Study of Action Mechanisms of Dimebon and Memantine on AMPA- and NMDA-Subtypes Glutamate Receptors in Rat Cerebral Neurons
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dimebon in low concentrations potentiated activity of AMPA-receptors in rat cerebellar Purkinje neurons, while memantine produced only an insignificant potentiation in a small group of these cells. In cortical neurons of rat brain memantine efficiently blocked NMDA-induced currents in dimebon-insensitive neurons. By contrast, its effect was far weaker in neurons, where the blocking action of dimebon on NMDA-receptors was most pronounced. It was hypothesized that the differences in the effects of memantine and dimebon are determined by their interaction with different sites of NMDA-receptors.
- N. S. Zefirov, A. Z. Afanas'ev, S. V. Afanas'eva, et al., Izobreteniya, No. 8, Pt. 2, 323 (1998).
- N. N. Lermontova, A. E. Redkozubov, E. F. Shevtsova, et al., Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med., 131, No. 1, 545-550 (2001).
- S. Bachurin, E. Bukatina, N. Lermontova, et al., Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 939, No. 2, 425-435 (2001).
- R. E. Brown, D. R. Stevens, and H. L. Haas, Prog. Neurobiol., 63, No. 6, 637-672 (2001).
- O. Hamill, E. Neher, B. Sakman, et al., Pflugers Arch., 391, No. 1-2, 85-100(1981).
- C. G. Parsons, W. Danisz, and G. Quack, Neuropharmacology, 38, 735-767 (1999).
- B. Winblad and N. Poritis, Int. J. Geriatr. Psych., 14, No. 1, 135-146 (1999).
- Comparative Study of Action Mechanisms of Dimebon and Memantine on AMPA- and NMDA-Subtypes Glutamate Receptors in Rat Cerebral Neurons
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 136, Issue 5 , pp 474-477
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Alzheimer disease
- action mechanism
- glutamate receptors
- Industry Sectors