The life-cycle impacts of aluminum body-in-white automotive material
- Sujit Das
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, life-cycle comparisons of energy usage and CO2 emission of aluminum vs. conventional steel and the ultralight steel auto body were made for body-in-white applications at both the vehicle and fleet levels. The analysis considered three major stages of the life cycle: manufacturing, use, and recycling. The analysis also studied how life-cycle energy and emission benefits are affected by changes in input parameter values, such as manufacturing energy, vehicle-sales growth rate, secondary weight savings, fuel efficiency, and a lower aluminum replacement rate.
- J.L. Sullivan and J. Hu, “Life Cycle Energy Analysis for Automobiles,” SAE 951829 (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1995).
- K. Saur et al., Foundations for Life Cycle Analysis of Automotive Structures—The Potential of Steel, Aluminum and Composites, SAE 951844 (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1995).
- K. Martchek, S. Pomper, and J. Green, “Life Cycle Inventory Report for the North American Aluminum Industry—with Emphasis on Casting and Rolling” (Paper presented at Int. Conf. Casting and Rolling Technol., Baltimore, May 1999).
- F. Stodolsky et al., “Life-Cycle Energy Savings Potential from Aluminum-Intensive Vehicles,” SAE Paper no. 951837 (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1995).
- J. Clark, Fleet-Based LCA: Comparative CO 2 Emission Burden of Aluminum and Steel Fleets (Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1999).
- Review of the Research Program of the Partnership For A New Generation of Vehicles: Fifth Report (Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1999).
- G. Kobe, “Ford P2000,” Automotive Industries, 177 (April 1997), pp. 85–86.
- Preliminary Report on the Consolidation of Life Cycle Inventory Data (London: International Primary Aluminum Institute, 1999).
- J.L. Sullivan et al., “Life Cycle Inventory of a Generic U.S. Family Sedan: Overview of Results USCAR AMP Project,” SAE 982160 (Warrendale, PA: SAE, 1998).
- S.T. Chubbs, personal communication with Sujit Das (1999).
- S.C. Davis, Transportation Energy Databook: Edition 18, ORNL-6941 (Oak Ridge, TN: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1998).
- S.-P. Miaou, Factors Associated with Aggregated Car Scrappage Rate in the United States: 1966–1992 (Oak Ridge, TN: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1995).
- Energy Information Administration (EIA), Annual Energy Outlook 1999: With Projections to 2020, DOE/EIA-0383(99) (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Energy, 1999); (also available at 〈website:www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo98/homepage.html〉.
- The life-cycle impacts of aluminum body-in-white automotive material
Volume 52, Issue 8 , pp 41-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Sujit Das (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Energy Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA