Blue Maize: Morphology and Starch Synthase Characterization of Starch Granule
- Rubi G. Utrilla-CoelloAffiliated withCentro de Desarrollo de Productos Bióticos del IPN.
- , Edith Agama-AcevedoAffiliated withCentro de Desarrollo de Productos Bióticos del IPN. Email author
- , Ana Paulina Barba de la RosaAffiliated withInstituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica
- , Jose L. Martinez-SalgadoAffiliated withInstituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica
- , Sandra L. Rodriguez-AmbrizAffiliated withCentro de Desarrollo de Productos Bióticos del IPN.
- , Luis A. Bello-PerezAffiliated withCentro de Desarrollo de Productos Bióticos del IPN.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of pigmented maize varieties has increased due to their high anthocyanins content, but very few studies are reported about the starch properties of these grains. The aim of this work was to isolate the starch granules from pigmented blue maize and carry out the morphological, physicochemical, and biochemical characterization studies. The proximate composition of starch granules showed high protein contents, after purification, the blue maize starch presented lower protein amount than starch from white maize (control). Although the purity of starch granules was increased, the damaged starch (determined for the Maltase cross absence) was also increased. Scanning electron microscopy showed the presence of some pores and channels in the blue maize starch. The electrophoretic protein profiles showed differences in the bands that correspond to the enzymes involved in the starch biosynthesis; these differences could explain the variation in morphological characteristics of blue maize starches against starch from white maize.
KeywordsBlue maize Starch Morphology Starch synthases
- Blue Maize: Morphology and Starch Synthase Characterization of Starch Granule
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 64, Issue 1 , pp 18-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Blue maize
- Starch synthases
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centro de Desarrollo de Productos Bióticos del IPN., Km 8.5 carr Yautepec-Jojutla, colonia San Isidro, P.O. Box 24, 62731, Yautepec, Morelos, México
- 2. Instituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica, Camino de la Presa San José, Lomas 4a Sección, 78216, San Luis Potosí, Mexico