Oxidative stability of flaxseed lipids during baking
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the stability of whole and ground flaxseed, either alone or as an ingredient in a muffin mix, by measuring oxygen consumption and changes in α-linolenic acid under various conditions. When ground flaxseed was heated at 178°C in a sealed tube, headspace oxygen decreased from 21 to 2% within 30 min, while that of whole flaxseed decreased only slightly up to 90 min at 178°C. Under the same conditions, the oxygen consumption of lipids extracted from an equivalent amount of flaxseed was between the whole flaxseed and the ground flaxseed. After heating to 178°C for 1.5 h, α-linolenic acid decreased from 55.1 to 51.3% in ground flaxseed, and to 51.7% in lipid extracts, but it remained unchanged in the whole flaxseed. Ground flaxseed with large (<20 mesh) or small (>35 mesh) particle size absorbed more oxygen than samples with medium particle size when heated at 122°C for 8 h. Long-term storage of whole or ground flaxseed or lipid extracts showed that all three preparations were stable at room temperature for 280 d with 12 h light/dark cycles. A muffin mix, containing 28.5 wt% flaxseed flour, consumed oxygen more rapidly than a control muffin without flaxseed flour at a baking temperature of 178°C for 2 h, but the α-linolenic acid remained unchanged in both muffin mixes. Polymers derived from triglyceride oxidation and newtrans isomers of α-linolenic acid were not detected under the present experimental conditions. Under typical baking conditions, there is minimal loss of α-linolenic acid from flaxseed, although the manner of incorporation of flaxseed in food products should be considered to minimize oxidation of α-linolenic acids.
- Anon.,INFORM 1:944 (1990).
- Holman, R.G., S.B. Johnson and T.F. Hatch,Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 35:617 (1982).
- Bjerve, K.S., S. Fisher and K. Alme,46:570 (1987).
- Bjerve, K.S., I.L. Mostad and L. Thoresen,45:66 (1987).
- Aryee-Bohannon, F., and M.L. Gengler, inProceedings of the 54th Flax Institute of the United States, University of North Dakota, 1993, p. 11.
- Cunnane, S.C., S. Ganguli, C. Menard, A. Liede, M.J. Hamadeh, Z.-Y. Chen, T.M.S. Wolever and D.J.A. Jenkins,Brit. J. Nutr. 69:443 (1993). CrossRef
- Thompson, L.U., M. Serraino and S.C. Cunnane, inProceedings of the 54th Flax Institute of the United States, University of North Dakota, 1992, p. 32.
- Oomah, B.D., G. Mazza and E. Kenaschuk,Ibid. Proceedings of the 54th Flax Institute of the United States, University of North Dakota, 1992, p. 59.
- Bunick, F.J., Lipid Autoxidation in Human Red Blood Cell Membrane, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Massachusetts, 1984.
- Chen, Z.-Y. and W.W. Nawar,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68:47 (1991).
- Shukla, V.K.S., and E.G. Perkins,Lipids 26:23 (1991).
- Privett, O.S., and F.W. Quackenbush,31:225 (1954).
- Husain, S., R. Jerao and S. Matsushita inAmino-Carbonyl Reactions in Food and Biological System, edited by M. Fugimaki, M. Namiki and H. Kato, Elsevier Press, New York, 1984, p. 295.
- Bratkowska, L.,Acta Alim Pol. 4:256 (1978).
- King, M.F., L.C. Boyd, and B.W. Sheldon,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69:545 (1992).
- Ratnayake, W.M.N., W.A. Behens, P.W.F. Fischer, M.R. L'abbe, R. Mongeau and J.L. Beare-Rogers,J. Nutr. Biochem. 3:232 (1992). CrossRef
- Ackman, R.G., S.N. Hooper and D.L. Hooper,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 51:42 (1974).
- Grandgirard, J.L., J.L. Sebedio and J. Fleury,61:1563 (1984).
- Wolff, R.L., and J.L. Sebedio,68:719 (1991).
- Wolff, R.L.,70:219 (1993).
- Grandgirard, A., A. Piconneaux, J.L. Sebedio, S.F. O'Keefe, E. Semon and J.L. Lequere,Lipids 24:799 (1989).
- Blond, J.P., C. Henchiri, P. Precigou, A. Grandgirard and J.L. Sebedio,Nutr. Res. 10:69 (1990). CrossRef
- O'Keefe, S.F., M. Lagarde, A. Grandgirard and J.L. Sebedio,J. Lipid Res. 31:1241 (1990).
- Oxidative stability of flaxseed lipids during baking
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 71, Issue 6 , pp 629-632
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- α-Linolenic acid
- flaxseed muffin
- oxygen absorption
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Protection Branch, Health Canada, Banting Building, Tunney's Pasture, K1A 0L2, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 3. Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, M5S 1A8, Ontario, Canada