Topological properties of ordinary nematics in 3-space
- Klaus Jänich
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes the topologically possible global defect behavior of ordinary nematics in 3-space. It is written for physicists interested in defects of ordered media as well as for topologists, but instead of using an ‘intermediate’ way of presentation, which might appeal to no one, we first state the result for physicists and then, discussing the proof, turn to mathematicians and physicists who are inclined to read a mathematical paper.
- Jänich, K. and Trebin, H.-R.: ‘Disentanglement of Line Defects in Ordered Media’, in R. Balian et al. (eds.), Les Houches, Session XXXV, 1980—Physics of Defects, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1981, pp. 421–429.
- Olum, P.: ‘Mappings of Manifolds and the Notion of Degree’, Ann. Math. 58 (1953) 458–480.
- Olum, P.: ‘Obstructions to Extensions and Homotopies’, Ann. Math. 52 (1950), 1–50.
- Olum, P.: ‘On Mappings into Spaces in which Certain Homotopy Groups Vanish’, Ann. Math. 57 (1953), 561–574.
- Poénaru, V. and Toulouse, G.: ‘The Crossing of Defects in Ordered Media and the Topology of 3-manifolds’, J. Phys. 38 (1977) 887–895.
- Rolfson, D.: Knots and Links, Publish or Perish, Berkeley, 1976.
- Topological properties of ordinary nematics in 3-space
Acta Applicandae Mathematica
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 65-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Defects in ordered media
- nematic liquids
- linking numbers
- Poincaré-Hopf theorems
- Klaus Jänich (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fakultät für Mathematik, Universität Regensburg, Universitätsstrasse 31, D-8400, Regensburg, West Germany